Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Finding comfort in the scriptures

Area:  Provo MTC
Companion:  Elder Wells


Geesh Mom and Dad!  Was my convincing not good enough to get a puppy before I left?  Well at least she will be there when I get home.  I love the name and she is so stinking cute!  Dad, I know that one was all on you. ;-)
 
Meet Petunia aka "Tuna" -- The latest addition to the Shoemaker family.
 I'm writing you today because I won't have time to do it before I leave.  Well I forgot my notebook with what I had written in it to write you so I will do my best to remember.

I think it was Thursday night that the homesickness really hit me.  I had some pictures of the family in my scriptures and they fell out while I was studying and then it hit me that I was really gone!  That night during personal time I decided to pull out the picture book you gave me before I left and look at some of the pictures.  That was a bad idea!  I cried for like 20 minutes, which I never do, but after flipping through those pictures and praying to Heavenly Father for strength, I was reminded of a scripture that was in Doctrine and Covenants 100:1.  
 
"Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you, my friends Sidney and Joseph, your families are well; they are in mine hands, and I will do with them as seemeth me good; for in me there is all power."
 
This scripture was talking about Joseph Smith and David Whitmer I believe while on one of their journeys.  They were very concerned about their families since they were away from them for awhile.  But what really stood out to me was how it said that with God on their side, their families would be safe.  I read that scripture several times and I was just fine after that.

I'm so anxious to get out to Missouri!  Here in the MTC it's awesome but I don't know if I could be in here for more than two weeks.  Maybe that's why I was called state side. haha! I have learned so much here with regards to teaching, listening, learning, and how to recognize the Holy Ghost and I am just ready to go and apply it now.  

We had another devotional on Sunday on keeping a study journal and how important that is in being able to recognize how the spirit speaks to use and how we can recognize that.   
 
That about all I have to say!

Love everyone!   Elder Shoemaker

PS: I might be able to send some pictures today sometime depending on if I can find someone with a card reader! 
 
Elder Wells and I with our Branch President, President and Sister Gerke

The Picture off the whole district (Left to right)
Elder Wells, Me, Elder Hansen, Elder Anderton, Elder Michaelson, Elder Tippets, Sister Daly, Sister Toutai, Sister Pulley
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment