Monday, November 9, 2015

I am loving the area!

Area:  Kansas City, Missouri (Fleming Park Ward)
Companion:  Elder Behymer


Hello!  Another week cruising right on by!

We had a fantastic Sunday this week.  I loved the lesson on self reliance.  It was really good to think about goals in life and how we can develop our lives.  We also had an investigator come to sacrament, so that was good!

I am loving the area!  It has been a little weird only having to drive 5 minutes from appointment to appointment instead of driving 20-30 minutes, but it is great!  We get to teach a lot more people.  We live in a town called Blue Springs, just outside of our area.  It can be weird sometimes driving on the boarder of my old area, but it makes it a little easier navigating where we are at.  Kinda nice!

We finally got into a lesson with Justin and Regina!  They kept having things come up, but we finally got to talk with them.  It was good to see them again.  Their progression from when I last saw them has dropped dramatically.  It was interesting to see how neglecting your spiritual side can effect your whole life.  They dropped so fast from where they were.  I am excited to help them get back to where they were when I last saw them.  The lesson we had with them was awesome! Because I already had a previous relationship with them I was able to be really upfront and bold with them.  We set some great goals with them and they are now on baptismal date for December 5th!!  We are so excited for them.

We have another investigator named Amey.  She is super solid and is going to be baptized on the 21st of this month.  We just finished up all the lessons with her and are now working really hard to build and strengthen her testimony even more.  It is going to be a great baptismal program, we have had quite awhile to prepare it.  We had a great lesson with her a couple of days ago and she brought up the new change in the church regarding LGBT rights and their children joining the church.  Satan really is milking that one for all he can!  She was so hung up on that almost to the point of not wanting to be baptized because of that.  With some scriptures, prayer, and testimony she got over it and understood it.  I sure hope that concern doesn't keep coming up with others, it sure is touchy to deal with!

We had one training this past week that went really well!  That is always one of my favorite things to do as a leader.  I love learning the principles at MLC (mission leadership counsel) and then being able to bring them back to the rest of the missionaries.  I trained on accountability to the Lord.  As a leader you deal with a lot of missionaries that really hate numbers.  We use numbers to track our investigators progression and it is a very basic, simple, easy way to track someones progression.  I talked a little on that and then also hit on taking the responsibility for what you have done and not blaming it on anyone else.  I shared the story of Adam and Eve and how they would blame others for their sin.  When Eve took the fruit she said that "the serpent beguiled me!" and when Adam took the fruit he said, "The woman thou gavest me..."  It was never their own fault.  We can learn from that and take the responsibility for the things that we do, whether they be good, or bad.  The principle of accountability is an eternal principle.  We had one missionary fall asleep during my companions training...

My companion is awesome!  He is a little interesting at times and sometimes tries to explain things and makes absolutely no sense... but I love it!  He has been out for 23 months, so I am going to be killing him off next month at the transfer.  My first one!

This week we had some great miracles!  Last night we were trying really hard to hit our finding goal this week of finding two new investigators and we haven't found any all week.  We got a random text from a part member family that asked us to come over and teach them a lesson and we were able to set a return appointment with them for later on this week!  We had that happen again with a different family yesterday as well!   We were so blessed in our efforts this week.

"Some blessings come now, some blessings come later, and some blessings don't come until heaven.  But for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come!"
- Jeffery R. Holland

Thank you all for all you do!  I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family who support me so much.  :-)

Love,
Elder Shoemaker


No comments:

Post a Comment