Monday, November 2, 2015

Transfer to Fleming Park

Area:  Kansas City, Missouri (Fleming Park Ward)
Companion:  Elder Behymer

Hello everyone!!

Well, it seems like everyone is anxious to see what is happening to me!  I am now in the Kansas City Zone serving as a Zone Leader in the Fleming Park ward with Elder Behymer!  My new area is literally 15 minutes away from my first area, Independence 4th ward.  It is a little less populated than Independence, but not by much.  Back to the city life...it is going to take a little while to get used to living in the city again.


Yay for the KC Royals!  I'm happy that they are finally done, because it was so hard to meet with anyone on the days that the Royals were playing.  Good for them!

Oh, the "Juahova witness" picture was legit, the guy thought we were Jehovah Witnesses.

Mom, my ring size is  8 1/2. :)

Oh, and you asked for B-day/Christmas present ideas.  All I could really use are some postage stamps and maybe 2 long sleeve white shirts for meetings and what not.  Can you try and find some that are a thicker material but still the non wrinkle?  Just so they aren't see through with my garments.  I could also use some new ties, I always like those.  :)   

Hope everyone had a happy Halloween this past weekend!  Basically all we could do is visit member families because everyone who we would talk to would just get mad at us for talking to them on Halloween.  So, we spent the day with various members and then we had to come back to our apartment after dinner so we weren't out with the trick-or-treaters and also the trouble makers.  People out here  go all out on Halloween, kinda cool to see.

Well, when I got to this apartment it wasn't exactly the most clean or organized thing in the world...  Something that I have learned out here is that if you want to feel the spirit, you have to create the environment for the spirit to feel comfortable.  If we look at the inside of the temple, it is super clean!  So, throughout this week I have been getting up early so that I could have a half hour each day to clean this place up!  By the end of it all I probably threw out 10 trash bags full of garbage and miscellanies junk!  Missionaries would just shove stuff into the recesses of this place, pretty nasty.  But, today we are going to do another sweep clean to get this place up to ship shape in Bristol fashion.

Ok, you are all going to be blown away at how the Lord orchestrates his work when you hear this story.  Do you all remember Justin and Regina from Independence 4th ward, my first area?  Well, right after I left that area I had heard that they had moved to a town called Sedalia, MO.  I heard someone mention their names while I was at a leadership meeting so I quickly found out that they were actually in Kansas City!  Turns out they actually live in Fleming Park!  Mind blown!  Yes, I am again teaching them.  They are working on getting married in the next few weeks and they they will be baptized!  I worked with they for 6 months in Independence and now get the opportunity to finish the job.  I am so excited to help them continue down this path.

We had a pretty fun ward party the second day I came into the area.  It was a good opportunity to meet everyone and for everyone to meet me.  I also saw a couple of youth from the Independence 4th ward there so that was fun to catch up with them!

We had the great opportunity to take the sacrament to a young family whose little boy of 2 years old just got diagnosed with Leukemia.  :(  I absolutely hate cancer.  It was hard to see this little boy all hooked up to the IV's and just sitting there not really knowing what was going on and just playing with his little trucks.  It was a good opportunity to reflect on the plan of salvation.  I have no idea what I would do in that situation if I didn't have the knowledge of the gospel in my life.  The gospel blessing individuals and families in so many different ways!

Thank you to all who have sent letters to me this past week!  It has been wonderful to hear from everyone.  I really sincerely appreciate it.  It has been a great pick me up for me and to receive an update on everyone.

Matthew 16:21-28:

21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
24 ¶Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

This is some of my favorite scripture in all of the standard works.  Especially verses 24-26.  Are we truly representatives of Jesus Christ in our everyday actions?  Words?  Deeds?  These are great questions to think to ourselves and ponder on what we need to change in our lives to become more in tune with the spirit and centered on Jesus Christ.  I am so grateful for the Savior and for what he means to me and has done for me.  As we try to become better day to day, or Heavenly Father will bless us more and more.  We need to have action associated to everything we do.

Thank you all for everything that you do for me!
Love,
Elder Shoemaker


Here is Bishop Walkers family (from Kearney, MO).  In the back left the girl behind Sister Walker is Abigail, the girl we were teaching. Left to Right:  Sister Walker, Abigail, Camille, Mary, Bishop, Me, Dan




Bishop Walker is up on one of the most spiritual men I have ever met in my life.  He let me have an interview with him the night before I left and he gave me some amazing insights and words of encouragement. He has also taught me many life lessons that I will keep.  This is one family I will stay in touch with.



No comments:

Post a Comment