Monday, October 26, 2015

I've been Snap Chatted!

Area:  Kearney, Missouri      
Companion:  Elder Hansen

Hello family and friends!

I have been enjoying the wonderful weather here.  It has finally really started to cool down a bit and it feels wonderful.  The leaves are starting to turn and what not, but nothing beats a northern Utah fall and winter!

Glad to hear that you were able to get together as a family and go to Grandma and Grandpa Walkers house this past week.  Looks like Grandma had a nice time being able to see everyone.

I wasn't able to find anything out specifically on any of our ancestors while up in Hauns Mill.  We had to rush while we were up there.  We actually weren't able to go to where the actual mill was because of time and miles.  That will be a sight that I will have to go back and see and spend some time looking around the town.  There is a cemetery in that town that has a lot of those who were killed at Hauns Mill.  Who would of thought that the little town of Breckenridge, Missouri would have so much history!  Population... below 500.



 
What a great and crazy week!  Transfer calls are tomorrow and actual transfer day is on Thursday.  It is very likely that I will be out of here... six months in an area is typically about the cap to how long
you stay.  I may be in a new part of Missouri or Kansas on Thursday!

We had a fantastic lesson with Selena on Monday at the Independence visitors center.  We had her in tears as we sat beneath the Christus and talked about the gospel and the Savior's love for her.  She knows in her heart that this message is true and that it will benefit her life, she just needs to take the next step and act on the invitation to be baptized.  She is getting close though!

I went on exchanges up to Maryville earlier this week, about a 2 hour drive for us from Lawson.  It is up on the Missouri, Iowa boarder.  It was pretty sweet up there.  It reminded me a lot of Logan actually. There is a little college up there and a bunch of students walking around and a nice little town like Logan.  That was a good time up there.

We had a great opportunity to take a less active, George and his family dinner this past week.  About two weeks ago he said that him and his family haven't had a steak dinner in years.  So we thought we
would prepare them a good meal.  We brought over a steak and potato dinner, I even made that corn salad recipe you sent me Mom.  It turned out wonderfully and they were very appreciative of the dinner.

I had a good opportunity to learn a new skill this past week.  I learned how to put up a wire and barbed wire fence.  We also herded the biggest pig I have ever seen in my life!  No joke that it was about the size of a cow, just not quite as tall.  HUUUGE!!!

We went over the the Walker family's house last night to teach and to talk about how their missionary work is going.  We are still working with Camille, their daughter, to teach Abigail some more.  We got news last night that Abigail doesn't want to take the lessons anymore. That was a bummer, but there is no doubt in my mind that she will accept the gospel somewhere down the road in life.  It has helped her too much and she has felt too much good for her to just brush it off. While over there we got shown a picture.  It was a picture of Elder Hansen and myself at someones (a guy named Jon that we tracted into) door with the caption beneath it, "Juahova Witnesses."  They took the picture through a set of blinds! haha! It was crazy how the picture got into our hands. The son-in-law of Bishop was on snapchat, the app, and saw on his story that picture!  It is pretty funny to see what people think and what people will do and say when you aren't looking. I have the picture and I'll send it to you.  The life of a missionary in a small town. 

"If you are going to do it, at least spell it right!!



I gave a talk yesterday in Sacrament meeting.  It was on President Uchtdorf's talk, "It Works Wonderfully."  It went pretty well!  I had just gotten the assignment about 2 hours before the meeting so I was scrambling to put it together, but it all turned out alright.  My speaking skills have definitely improved!  I truly have seen the promise made in Ether 12 come true in my own life.

Ether 12:27:  "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

Love you all!

Elder Shoemaker

PS.  This iPad keyboard works wonders!  Thanks Mom and Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment